Pages

Monday, 9 April 2018

Simile and Metaphor

Simile and Metaphor


L.I. - Know the parts of speech that will improve our writing
Know the difference between a simile and a metaphor


Similes compare one thing with another by saying they are similar, similes always use ‘like’ or ‘as’
Metaphors compare things by saying one thing is another


Simile are used in everyday conversation
Match the start and end of these common simile
as cold as ice✓
as a bee
as busy as a bee✓
as a bat
as quiet as a mouse✓
as a pig
as blind as a bat✓
as ice
as fat as a pig✓
as a mouse


Complete these sentences with a simile
He had a face like a horse✓
Smoke drifted like a wind✓
The aeroplane flew like a bird✓
We followed the teacher like ducklings✓
The sun rose like a flower✓


Try these:
As clear as the sky✓
As hard as a stone✓
As light as a feather✓
As heavy as a elephant✓


Animal similes: Match the animal to the simile below
dog    bee ox    mouse lamb      mule
bat    snail eel    lark bunny   owl
I’m busy as a bee✓
It’s as slippery as an eel✓
She’s as quick as a lark✓
He’s as blind as a bat✓
She’s as wise as an owl✓
She’s as happy as a lamb✓
It’s as slow as a snail✓
He’s as stubborn as a mule✓
He’s as gentle as a bunny✓
You are quiet as a mouse✓
He’s as strong as an Ox✓
I’m as sick as a dog✓


Highlight the metaphors in these sentences.
When my kitten died, it broke my heart.✓
The sky was a big blue blanket.
The freezing wind was a knife cutting through my thin T-shirt.
I got together with the team to iron out our problems.
I was bored and time was creeping by.
I am a rocket on my skateboard.


Try matching these metaphor starts and endings:


That boy is a naughty monkey
a dragon
Glow worms were stars on the cave roof
when he is angry
The teacher is a dragon
a naughty monkey
Clouds feathered the sky
stars on the cave roof
He is a lion when he is angry.
the sky


Add a description to these to make these into metaphor:
The cave is black hole
The night is black blanket
A tree is ginormous beast
A spider web is net
A fish is scaly creature


Here is a metaphor poem.  There are 4 metaphor in it, find them and highlight them.


When I walk outside I play a game,
Of matching things not quite the same.
A tree is a green umbrella,
It shelters me from the rain.
Rain puddles are my mirrors,
I see myself again
Worms are living rubber bands,
They wriggle pinkly in my hands.
The moon’s a gold ball hanging in the sky,
It teases me to make a link…
I sometimes have to think and think.


This week in writing our group have been learning about language features such as similes and metaphors. Our task was to complete a worksheet given by Ms Kirkpatrick. In the worksheet there examples of simile and metaphors that we had to answer. Similes compare one thing with another by saying they are similar, similes always use ‘like’ or ‘as’

No comments:

Post a Comment